The National Museum of Natural Science
No. 1, Guanqian Road, North District, Taichung City 40453, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Hours: 9:00am – 5:00pm, Tuesday through Sunday
Closed: Mondays (national holidays and school vacation periods excluded), Chinese New Year’s Eve, and Chinese New Year’s Day (partly open)
The National Museum of Natural Science is located in the heart of Taichung City, at No. 1 Guanqian Rd between Taiwan Blvd and Xitun Rd. It’s simple to get here by car, public transportation, or bike.
From the National Highway No. 1
- ● Take the Taichung exit ramp. Go toward Taichung City. Continue straight on Taiwan Blvd (formerly Taichung Port Road). Turn left onto Guanqian Rd (known as the Museum’s Pathway of Evolution). The Museum will be ahead of you.
● Take the Chungching exit ramp. Go toward Taichung City. Continue straight on Chungching Rd. Turn right onto Chienhsing Rd. The Museum will be on your immediate left.
From the National Highway No. 3
- ● Take the Kuaiguan interchange. Merge onto Chungchang Expressway. Take the Nantun exit ramp (also known as Wuchuan W. Rd exit). Continue straight on Wuchuan W. Rd. Turn left onto Wenhsin Rd. or Chungming S. Rd. Turn right onto Taiwan Blvd. The Museum will be on your immediate left.
● Take the Kuaiguan interchange. Merge onto Chungchang Expressway. Take the Shicheng Rd. exit ramp. Continue straight on Shicheng Rd. Turn left onto Wenhsin Rd. Turn right onto Taiwan Blvd. The Museum will be on your immediate left.
● Take the Longjing exit ramp. Go toward Taichung City. Continue straight on Taiwan Blvd. The Museum will be on your left.
From the Expressway
- ● Chungtou Expressway: Take the Wuchuan S. Rd. exit ramp. Turn left onto Chungming S. Rd. Turn right onto Taiwan Blvd. The Museum will be on your immediate left.
● Chungchang Expressway: Take the Wuchuan W. Rd. exit ramp. Continue straight on Wuchuan W. Rd. Turn left onto Wenhsin Rd. or Chungming S. Rd. Turn right onto Taiwan Blvd. The Museum will be on your immediate left. Or, take the Shicheng Rd. exit ramp. Continue straight on Shicheng Rd. Turn left onto Wenhsin Rd. Turn right onto Taiwan Blvd. The Museum will on your immediate left.
From the Provincial Highway
- ● Changhwa: Go past Wurih. Continue straight on Fuhsing Rd. Turn left onto Chungming S. Rd. Turn right onto Taiwan Blvd. The Museum will be on your immediate left.
● Fongyuan: Go past Tantzi. Continue straight on Beitun Rd. Turn right onto Chienhsing Rd. The Museum will be on your left.
● Nantou: Go past Dali. Continue straight on Guoguang Rd, Linsen Rd. and Yingtzai Rd. Turn left onto Taiwan Blvd. The Museum will on your immediate right.
Paid parking is available in the Museum’s two underground parking garages and two outdoor parking lots for cars and coaches.
- Parking Locations
- ● Botanical Garden Garage and Lot
Our Botanical Garden has an underground parking garage with 178 spaces and a 30-space outdoor parking lot adjacent to the Garden. The entrances to the garage and lot are both on Xitun Rd. However, please note, the Garden Garage is not accessible for wheelchairs or people with limited mobility, and the Garden Lot is available for coaches only. Also, there is an exclusive lounge situated adjacent to the Lot for coach drivers to relax and unwind.
● Shanchung Lot
This outdoor parking lot with 78 spaces is at Boguan Rd.(formerly Shanchung Rd.) and very close to the Museum’s main entrance. It is ideal for wheelchair users or people with limited mobility.
● Xitun Garage
Our newly opened underground garage at Xitun Rd., just across from the Botanical Garden, offers expanded capacity and improved access to the Museum campus for visitors and people with limited mobility as well. The new parking garage structure is a multi-purposed building, highlighting by a themed restaurant of Carton King and exhibits which use pop art to explain science on the B1 level. The extra parking spaces are on the B2 and B3 levels.
● Other Parking Options
If all our parking spaces are full, there are a number of parking spaces on neighborhood streets and nearby garages or lots. Please respect our neighbors by parking in designated car parks only and not in residential areas. For more parking options and maps, please visit here.
The parking garages and lots in the Museum are open 24 hours daily.
Parking Rates (Car/Coach)
|Type||Time||Rate||Daily Maximum Rate|
|Members & Visitors||8am-7pm||TWD30/hour||TWD180|
TWD50/hour (holidays & vacations)
|Overnight Parking||7pm-8am||TWD50/night|| |
|Time||Rate||Daily Maximum Rate|
The Museum offers a fully automated fast and easy-to-use parking system. Pay before you leave at the automated pay machines inside the garage or lot where you park. If you need help with the payment machine, please ask one of the staffs in the pay station at the exit to help you.
NMNS Parking Particulars:
● The rate of on-street parking is TWD30/hour 8am- 6pm.
● Disabled citizens with yellow badge enjoy 4 hours maximum free parking during controlled hours, while those with blue badge enjoy free parking with no time limit.
The Museum is located across Taiwan Blvd from Taichung’s famous Calligraphy Greenway and is easily accessible by bus or train. If your plans permit, consider using public transportation.
By High Speed Rail
- From the HSR Taichung Station, take free Shuttle Bus 159 to SOGO Department Store stop and walk one block to the Museum. Or, get off at the Botanical Garden stop, the Museum’s entrance at Xitun Rd. is right on your side. Check here for details.
- By train/Bus
- From Taichung Railway Station, transfer to one of the following buses to the NMNS stop, you will easily reach us. Or, to the SOGO Department Store stop and walk one block to the Museum.
● Taichung Bus No. 11, 35, 70, 304, 307, 309, 310, 323, 324, 325.
● Renyeou Bus No. 45
● Green Transit No. 48
● UBus No. 18, 77, 159, 301, 303, 308, 326
● Geya Bus: No. 300, 305, 306
● CTbus No. 37, 302
- By Bike
- There’s no better way to get to the National Museum of Natural Science on a beautiful day than by bike. Bicycle racks at Boguan Rd provide ample bike parking just outside the Museum’s main entrance. Or, borrow a bike with YouBike, Taichung’s bike-sharing system. Get a 24-hour pass and take a bike from one of hundreds of stations across the city. Our closest YouBike station is just adjacent to the main entrance. Visit YouBike’s website for station locations and pricing information.