Chuan-Chin Chiao Director
- Ph.D. (Aug 1994 - May 2000) Department of Biological Sciences, University of Maryland Baltimore County, USA
- B.S. (Sep 1987 - Jun 1991) Department of Marine Resources, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Taiwan
- Distinguished Professor (Aug 2012 - present) Department of Life Science, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- Vice President for Academic Affairs (Feb 2020 - Jul 2021) National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs (Aug 2018 - Jan 2020) National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- Director (Aug 2018 - Jan 2020) Institute of Molecular Medicine, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- Director (Aug 2011 - Jul 2018) Institute of Systems Neuroscience, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- Associate Professor (Aug 2008 - Jul 2012) Department of Life Science, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- Assistant Professor (Aug 2002 - Jul 2008) Department of Life Science, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
- Postdoctoral Fellow (Jun 2000 - Jul 2002) Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
- Grass Foundation Fellow (Jun 2000 - Aug 2000) Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, USA
The newly appointed Director General of National Museum of Natural Science, Dr. Chuan-Chin Chiao, whose research interests are visual neuroscience and animal behavior. His research program focuses on retinal neurobiology and cuttlefish neuroethology. The research outcome of Dr. Chiao has been widely reported by international and domestic media. He has received the Wu Ta-You Memorial Award from Ministry of Science and Technology of Taiwan.
In addition to his outstanding research, Dr. Chiao is also passionate about teaching. He believes that teaching is not a load, rather teaching is an opportunity. To him, every lecture is an opportunity to share knowledge with students. Dr. Chiao has received the Best Lecturer Award from National Tsing Hua University 3 times, the highest honor in NTHU. He also produced many online courses, and has received the Best MOOC Award from Ministry of Education. In addition, Dr. Chiao's general education course "Brain and Mind" is a very popular one in NTHU, and has attracted more than 1000 students attempting to enroll the course each year. He has received the Best General Education Teacher Award from Ministry of Education.
Besides teaching and research, Dr. Chiao is also enthusiastic about promoting science to general public. He has given more than 100 popular science lectures to a wide range of audience, and written more than 10 articles for recommending popular science books. He has also participated in the production of several popular science TV programs for Public Television Station and Di-Ai Station. Recently, Dr. Chiao has launched a podcast program called "Animal is Fun" on the Mirror media, and this is intended to reach out to a younger generation of audience.
Dr. Chiao, as the Director General, hopes to continue promoting popular science and science education in Taiwan. He believes that maybe not everyone is a scientist, but everyone should have a scientific mindset.